Monday, June 18, 2012

The Wedding Quilt

My old PVC quilting frame. Still works great!!
Pins and needles ready for use!
The hardest part of the process!
Of course with my daughter getting married, I had to make the wedding quilt. It was a given. I have been making quilts for years and probably have made about 5 just for her. However, this one has to be different. Special. It is for her wedding!  (of course I am also making the wedding gown but one thing at a time!!)


She requested a wholecloth quilt. For those of you that don't know what that is, I shall explain! Most people think of quilts as tiny pieces of fabric sewn together to make one bed-sized quilt. That is one way to quilt, and I have made countless types of those quilts. But a wholecloth quilt is one large piece of fabric with an elaborate design quilted onto it. It can also be called a bridal quilt. I made one for my brother about 15 years ago for his wedding, all in white.

However Meghan decided that she wanted a navy blue wholecloth quilt with white stitching. So that is the one she will get! The design is traced onto the fabric and then quilted by hand using white thread. The tracing is the hardest part (IMO), mainly because I have to use a lightbox under the fabric (remember, dark navy colored fabric), and hand trace the pattern. Now leaning over the table for hours doing is just does wonders for my back, so I get a little cranky! But that is what my baby girl wanted, so that is what she gets!

3 comments:

  1. I quilt as well, is it a repeating design? You could make a template and a pouncer to mark in chalk dust which will was out easily. Once again, let me know if you need anything

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carolyn! I will let you know if I need anything. So far we have started to progress to the actual quilting part, which is my favorite part. I hate the marking part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the prep work is always the worst! As for me, I have 17 months of Grad School crap to get organized and put away before I find my craft room.

    ReplyDelete