Saturday, February 23, 2013

Mother of the Bride dress: Ughhh!

So... After a long decision concerning my mother of the bride dress, I decided to go with the vintage pattern shown in my last post! I have started working on the muslin for the dress and so far so good. Until I started to shop for fabric.

I went out today for a short trip over to Lansing, IL to visit Vogue Fabrics. Now I hadn't been over there in a while, but they have been in their Lansing location for years. I remember shopping there back in 1989 when I was living here with hubby's mom and pregnant with Meghan. Much to my surprise when I pulled up: the store had a "for lease" sign on it and was vacant!! I was horrified! I drove about a block away to a local fast food joint to use the restroom and grab a Diet Coke and questioned the young lady behind the counter. She said they had been gone about a year or so now. Damn! Now they do have other locations (Evanson as well as the south Loop area). But Lansing is closer and I was really looking forward to the day browsing through the bolts of fabric. Ugghhhh!

So the plan is to potentially go next Saturday for a Chicago area fabric- crawl (some people do bar crawls, some do cupcake crawls: apparently I do fabric crawls!  I may also just say screw it and book a trip back out to San Francisco to visit the Orgasmic Britex Fabrics! After talking with Meghan this afternoon that might be the best option. I could also help her with potential veil ideas while I'm there.

Stay tuned! If I do the fabric crawl next weekend, expect a post and pictures! And there may be a SF trip in March as well! I still don't know for sure the color of the dress. I have been leaning towards a type of Thai Silk or something similar in weight. I know that I don't want anything shiny or noisy like taffeta. I am of the mind that when I find what I am looking for, then it will hit me. I just may have to fly across the country to find it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment