Saturday, April 6, 2013

Mother of the Bride outfit: Let's get started!!


 So here we go....!

The first cut!!
 Today I have started work on the mother of the bride dress! I had previously worked on a mulsin to do all the fittings of the dress and see how it will turn out. The idea of making a muslin is to do any alterations on the muslin instead of the fashion fabric. This way you don't "overhandle" the expensive fabric. And you can make any adjustments on the muslin as well.

I am planning on several changes to the dress. The original dress (which is a 1951 reproduction pattern) has a zipper on the side of the dress. I am planning on having the zipper down the back like similar dress of the current era. (Many dresses from that time frame had zippers on the side of the dress. Some of them even had zippers on the side with a small closure at the back neck as well.) I don't really like the zipper on the side of the dress. I find it uncomfortable. So I will put the zipper on the back of the dress.
The very fashionable muslin of the bodice!!

Not much to look at
Looks like a mess, doesn't it??
I also had to lengthen the bodice as I am very long waisted. I had to extend the sleeves a bit as well. In addition I will have to shorten the overall length of the dress because I am short. Care will need to be taken to not shorten it too much to take the overall effect of the dress.

After a few hours of cutting out the fabric, cutting out the lining and working on the bodice I have the main part of the bodice started.

I must say it was a little nerve wracking starting to cut in to fabric that cost $95 a yard! I was a little nervous at first but as I went on I treated it the same as $1.99 cotton. Just go slow and pay attention!

So not bad for a few hours work. The hardest part going forward will be to make sure that the fitting is correct as well as the lining matches up. So far so good. Stay tuned for future posts! So excited to work on this dress. I must say that I am THRILLED with the fabric. It works up so nice and has a fabulous feel to it. Paired with an interlining, the dress should fall beautifully!

Say tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment